Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Audition Tips

I've been judging a few auditions and placement classes lately so I thought I'd share some tips I wish I could have given the dancers.

  • I am hoping to see you succeed. I know auditions are stressful, but try to remember that I'm looking for good things. One mistake isn't the end of your life.
  • Smile. Or at least look pleasant.
  • No matter how you're feeling on the inside, try your very best to look cool, collected and confident on the outside. This means no fidgeting, making odd faces or frantically practicing on the sides when it isn't your turn.
  • Remember that auditions aren't the same as class. It's not okay to be practicing in the back because you're distracting the judges from the actual dancers. It's not okay to join the last group for one more chance at a combination. (Actually, that's never okay in my classes but some teachers don't have a problem with it.) And it's not okay to decide how many pirouettes you feel like doing. Do exactly what was asked of you.
  • Look pleasant. Better yet, smile.
  • When you see the judges talking or smiling together, don't assume the worst. Sometimes we're poking fun at ourselves. (Example: last weekend a fellow judge and I noticed that everyone on the panel was marking the combination with our feet while we took notes. None of us could sit totally still. It was funny.)
  • Don't stare at yourself in the mirror. We want to see you perform.
  • And did I mention how important it is to not look pained? Smiling is always a better look.
Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment